Monday, May 24, 2010

The Ultimate Sounder Accessory

There's a local dive bar that Kate and I frequent with friends of ours. The beer is cold and cheap, and the karaoke is rocking every weekend. There's even a little plaque by the door with names listed of the regulars that have passed on to the next life. It truly is the bar where everybody knows your name, and is full of southern hospitality. It is known as the "Tiki Tavern". Just behind the bartender at Tiki, is an entire collection of a phenomenon known as the team beer koozy. The regulars leave them there and use them on their various bar nights. Some of them are the Dallas Cowboys, some the New Orleans Saints, and the majority are of the state school, LSU.

I don't know about the Pacific Northwest, but a staple of team loyalty in the Southeast is the team beer koozy. I didn't start using them until dating Kate and seeing her friends use them. I'll use any excuse to show off my team, especially in a social situation, so I ventured into the world of the koozy. Not only does it keep moisture and cold away from your hand, but showing off your team colors is a great conversation starter. I bought my first two that coincide with my two football teams, The University of Texas and the San Diego Chargers, but its my third koozy that I truly love the most:



This piece of art made its debut at the FC Dallas away game this year during the "pitch invasion":


(Unfortunately they don't give you bottles at Pizza Hut Park anymore, so there's a can in there.)

And finally made its Tiki Tavern debut two weekends ago:



(Seen here with Kate, it even comes with little stickers to adorn it with a players name and number. Think I'm ready for Blaise to be here?)

I think its safe to say I'm the only one in these parts that can boast such an item. It got some awkward stares on its Tiki debut, but it even got some comments of intrigue and a compliment or two. Our Houston friends who were there even offered letting us stay with them when the Sounders travel to Houston to close the regular season.

Nothing like the team beer koozy to start up a conversation about a soccer team in Seattle, all the way in Shreveport, Louisiana, and even get us a free place to stay.

Friendly vs Boca Wednesday....and I finally get to watch!!!

Until next time...

GO SOUNDERS!

1 comment: